Our gratitude overflows with praises for our generous volunteers, sponsors and donors who helped us achieve these incredible milestones:
- We have become a trusted travel safety resource with more than 15,000,000 impressions in major news such as The Washington Post, The Huffington Post, Newsweek, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, Minneapolis Star & Tribune and numerous other publications. Media Relations, Inc. began the year with a publicity drive engaging college journalists as active participants in safe study abroad.
- A name change in Spring of 2016 to Depart Smart dba ClearCause Foundation became a reality. Safe travel starts here! Legal support provided by Maslon LLP including contract negotiations, non-disclosures, name changes and brand advice. Depart Smart is dedicated to erasing travel abroad pain points. Our vision is a world where people help each other travel safely.
- Ten travel safety workshops for groups of 20-100 persons were conducted by Depart Smart in 2016. Sheryl Hill, Executive Director, traveled to Cincinnati, OH to present two Depart Smart safe travel workshops at Rotary International’s North American Youth Exchange Network.
- Minnesota Cup Semi-Finalist in June 2016. It’s an honor and a privilege to be in the top ten of more than 100 Minnesota social entrepreneur start-ups for the Carlson School of Management 2016 Minnesota Cup.
- Public service announcements for Depart Smart were made possible by Travis Johansen of Provid Films. Brandi Powell took to Minneapolis downtown streets with Travis to ask people simple questions we should all know to Depart Smart. The video became a Depart Smart public service announcement. Hubbard Broadcasting is airing it on their stations.
- The Depart Smart Travel Safety Checklist second edition is realized! The Travel Safety Checklist serves thousands of people. The travel safety checklist is valued as a tool to help travelers identify and mitigate risks. EduRisk, higher education crisis and risk managers, links to the Depart Smart Travel Safety Checklist from their home page.
- Advocates for Sunshine Study Abroad Transparency Laws in Minnesota, Virginia and New York. These laws have passed:
- Depart Smart’s annual benefit was held in May at the beautiful Minneapolis Event Center. Depart Smart is privileged to have many wonderful friends support our life-saving efforts who give generously to help, raising more than $40,000.
- Polo for Philanthropy chose Depart Smart as the beneficiary of their Polo en Blanc event. More than 400 attendees wore white and dined under the stars for the Minnesota Polo Club qualifier.
- New offices in July, 2016, Depart Smart moved next door into a new Virtual OffiCenters location to accommodate growth and expansion. Virtual OffiCenters is a community of more than 1500 coworkers who network and support micro to medium sized businesses with five award winning locations around Minneapolis.
- Depart Smart is a GuideStar platinum participant. Guidestar helps donors weigh how well a nonprofit is managed and the impact it’s having so that they can make informed support decisions.
- November 17 – Give to the Max Day
- It is the largest fundraising drive in Minnesota. Donors can give online from November 1-17 to Depart Smart to earn matching funds. We are the only nonprofit working to advance travel and tourism consumer safety in a $7 trillion industry. Please help us save lives with your tax deductible gift by giving here.
- December 6 – Urban Cocktail Holiday Party at Pinstripes
- Human Resource Professionals of Minnesota selected Depart Smart as the beneficiary on December 6, 2016 from 4:30-7:00pm. Guests can enjoy a silent auction, cocktails and appetizers while networking to raise support for Depart Smart.