Heather Champine
Media Relations & Publicity Inc.
350 West Burnsville Parkway
Burnsville, MN 55337
(952) 697-5269


Are you ready for a semester abroad?

How would your child or student communicate with emergency trauma staff in a foreign country?

An identification card with emergency contacts, health, medical and insurance information in the foreign language is strongly recommended. Insurance, particularly insurance for medical evacuation and kidnap and ransom insurance are often good to have.

Do you know the emergency number?

Emergency services are 911 in North America, but emergency numbers are different just about everywhere else in the world.

Before you travel, make sure to find out the number for emergency services and the United States Embassy where you are traveling.

For more information on emergency numbers, read the Depart Smart Foreign Emergency Phone Numbers page.

Who is hosting your child abroad?

Some study abroad and exchange programs send kids to stay with host families without adequately checking their environment, qualifications and safety. What does your program do?

  • Youth have been placed in unsafe housing, with abusive families or worse. In some countries, fire codes and other safety regulations are nonexistent.
  • Before sending your child to stay with a host family, make sure they are being sent to a safe environment.
  • Have your child send photos or better yet Skype or Google+ to see the environment.
  • Does your student know what to do if the home stay is sketchy? This is especially important if the program is nonresponsive.
  • Every student should know their US Embassy Consular’s name and phone number.

Contact Us Form

Contact Us